Stuart Hall Talks About Building User-Driven Products
We've been a fan and a customer of Appbot for years. Recently, Ken got to chat with Stuart Hall, co-founder and CEO of Appbot and the creator of several other well-known apps like the 7 Minute Workout. They discuss the birth and growth of Appbot, how to tell effective product stories, creative uses for user feedback, and combating false expectations with patience and deliberate methodology.
- 0:55 - What is Appbot?
- 2:00 - Stuart's journey from building apps on the App Store to building a tool for peers.
- 8:11 - The nightmare of manually parsing through vast amounts of information. (And the birth of Appbot!)
- 10:43 - Thinking into the future with burritos, napkins, and feedback from customers.
- 12:20 - False expectations for overnight success vs. patience and iteration.
- 13:46 - Assessing the market and building something that people actually want and need.
- 15:24 - How to effectively tell a story about your product.
- 17:12 - The importance of App Store Optimization for success in the App Store.
- 20:32 - How carefully crafted “Wow!” moments help establish your app's story and value.
- 22:51 - Responsiveness and higher App Store ratings.
- 25:55 - Creative ways app creators use sentiment analysis to drill into product flaws.
- 28:44 - Stuart's unique scoring methodology for building new features and fighting the Next Feature Fallacy.
- 33:45 - The most eye-opening things learned from building and growing Appbot.
- 35:35 - What people are still getting wrong on the App Store.
- 37:34 - Critical advice learned since starting to build apps for the App Store back in 2012.
- 39:40 - Where to find Stuart online and how to reach out.
- Craft a compelling story for your product that resonates with their wants and needs.
- Leverage user feedback along with a clear methodology for considering new features.
- Give your product time to grow because success can often be a slow process.
Join 20,000+ Other Readers
Sign up to be notified of new blog posts and be the first to receive helpful app goodies from Savvy.