Founder Interview: Creating and Marketing Your First App with Mike Ogden of Unboxed
We recently sat down with our customer Mike Ogden, the founder of Unboxed, to talk about his experience creating his first app. In this conversation, he shares tips ranging from finding someone to build an app to ways to help generate buzz and marketing.
You can also listen to an audio-only version of our interview with Mike.
- 00:23 — What is Unboxed v1.0?
- 01:20 — How Mike, a longtime shoe collector, came up with the idea for Unboxed
- 02:25 — Going from the first concept to finding a target market
(see what makes a great app)
- 03:46 — Deciding how to bring his idea to the marketplace
(see the problems of going with a cheaper option)
- 04:40 — Addressing Unboxed's unique challenges
- 07:29 — Mike's involvement in the sneaker community
(see how to build excitement for your app before it launches)
- 08:05 — Being very active and genuine to establish legitimacy
- 09:22 — Seeking out new people and being reciprocal
- 10:10 — How all this hard work paid off for Unboxed
(see what you should be tracking in your app)
- 11:00 — Establishing Unboxed as a trustworthy brand
- 11:25 — The importance of continued outreach
- 12:15 — Targeting captive audiences of others in the app space
- 13:04 — Being seen with others who are established influencers
- 13:22 — The danger of ignoring the most important parts of building a new business
- Don't wait until your app launches to start enlisting your first users.
- Be an active, genuine, and passionate part of the community.
- Continue to learn from others and try new things.
- You're building a business, not an app.
Join 20,000+ Other Readers
Sign up to be notified of new blog posts and be the first to receive helpful app goodies from Savvy.