In this episode, our founder speaks with Savvy's Creative Director Rob Soulé about the importance of branding for apps. Learn the role branding plays in successful app-focused businesses as well as for organizations with an existing, established brand.
- 0:23 — This episode's topic: How to approach branding for app-focused companies.
- 3:55 — Today's design specialties and app-focused tools have made us lose sight of some of the fundamentals of design.
- 7:57 — Think of branding as an anvil on which you pound out all of your decisions.
- 9:38 — What is the difference between design and branding?
- 15:27 — How Airbnb's brand strengthens customer confidence.
- 19:22 — Disney's attention to detail reinforces the company's core value of providing a superior, magical experience.
- 21:35 — A customer's experience with your brand starts outside of the app.
- 25:30 — Creating your brand begins with understanding your users and your goals.
- 28:07 — How to create or improve your brand when you don't have the related skills or experience.
- 34:03 — Tips for extending an existing, established brand into a new app.
- 38:20 — How far can you push an existing brand for a new product or service?
- 40:47 — When should you consider redefining your company's brand?
- Your brand is your company's core values. Visual design is the practical application of those values.
- Ask critical questions and use empathy to define your company's brand. Then reach out to design experts to refine your brand and execute on it.
- Continuously measure your brand's quality and performance. Brands should also evolve with changing visual design trends and customer expectations.
<br/>We'd like to thank Rob for sharing his thoughts with us. You can connect with him through Twitter @rsoule. Another big thank you goes to Jaz Garewal for editing and mixing this episode. Check back soon for the second episode of The Savvy Apps Podcast.
Join 20,000+ Other Readers
Sign up to be notified of new blog posts and be the first to receive helpful app goodies from Savvy.